File this in the somewhat unorthodox job postings folder...I have a lawyer friend who works 25-30 hours a week and spends the rest of his time rock climbing, and we were talking about how much he loves it the other day. So that got me thinking about what my ideal job situation would be, and it's something like work 3 days a week, have $50-60k/yr and healthcare that I can count on, but still have plenty of time to work on my own projects and go cycling. :)
Unfortunately I can't do that right now (caught the startup founder bug) but we have a couple of developers who do this for us and I thought I'd see if anyone else is interested in this kind of gig.
Advantages for you:
- you get 2 extra weekend days for fun and profit
- if some weeks you don't have lots to do and want to work more, and other weeks you have lots to do and want to work less, we can be flexible
- we're profitable and growing! so if you decide "wow I really love Verba and want to spend every waking moment there" we can probably make that dream come true
Advantages for us:
- you have more time to learn new things, meet new people and generally be a friendlier, happier, more knowledgeable person in our workplace
- we can hire faster with less anxiety (instead of the "*gulp* i just committed $100k/yr" feeling, we have the "*smaller gulp* i just committed $50k/yr" feeling :)
- you get to be a part of what we're doing, we get to hear about all the cool stuff you're doing, and that can only lead to good things for both of us
Anyway, I've included our spiel and "what we're looking for" summary below. I also filled out the ominously-titled "responsibilities" section.
The college textbook market is currently being disrupted. Verba helps college bookstores transform themselves so that they a) understand and embrace the power of the nets, b) become agents of change in the textbook industry instead of agents of reaction and c) still make a healthy profit.
We're an 8-person B2B company working with just north of 175 colleges and universities, and we're looking for people familiar with Ruby, Rails, MySQL and JS who can help us grow faster. We (thankfully) don't have too many scaling problems, but we have a ton of opportunities (product and partner-based) that we could move on much faster with a few more hands on deck. The ideal person has strong Rails knowledge, a good head for architecture and knows enough JS to help out on front-end.
Be sure to check out our website (http://www.verbasoftware.com) so you can read all about our current products and hear people say nice things about us.
Prior experience with Ruby on Rails
Plays nice with MySQL (when you have several million rows in a table, a forgotten index makes MySQL very very angry)
Strong grasp of good security practices
Comfortable consuming APIs