The best job in San Francisco
Want to change millions of kids' lives with every commit? Welcome. In our first year we've grown faster than any education technology company in history, and we're looking for talented, thoughtful full-stack engineers to join our core dev team at this early-stage.
You'll work on production code from day one, deploy often, iterate quickly and have your work used by millions of kids around the world every day. We do meaningful, challenging work with a strong team and an awesome environment that you'll love to think, work and play in.
You'll be working with a node.js backend API and a web client built on Backbone.js. We also have native iOS and Android clients. If this sounds exciting, get in touch today and we'll tell you more!
Scaling: we're growing quickly, and that means rapidly scaling our application and database layers to accommodate millions of users.
Big data: analyzing tens of millions of data points on behavior to produce insights that can improve students' life outcomes.
Algorithms: using graph algorithms to analyze student behavior and recommend appropriate activities for students and teachers to do.
Machine learning: identifying behavior patterns and creating intelligently targeted recommendations using techniques like SVMs, Bayesian inference and MDPs.
User feeds: creating fast, targeted user behavior feeds based on various ranking signals
Realtime push communication: building out a platform that handles tens of thousands of messages per second, across mobile and desktop. Working on our distributed pubsub system to keep it reliable and instant at scale.
Mobile: designing APIs and building mobile applications for ClassDojo that are easy to use in the classroom and at home.
Vision: you’ll be the first or second person joining the team. You'll be expected and encouraged to be able to think beyond coding, to help define ClassDojo's direction. This is your company, too.
You're an extremely talented developer - you code for fun. Its very helpful if you can point to impressive work you’ve done on great projects or systems, or great open-source contributions.
You care about organized and readable code
You discuss and debate thoughtfully, communicate well with a team, and can set your own direction.
You are passionate about education, and are excited about having a transformational impact on millions of kids' lives.
* Competitive salary and early-stage equity.
* Health, dental and vision coverage.
* Open vacation policy. Take time off when you need it.
* A culture you'll love: a flat organization, flexible working hours and creative, mission-driven work that impacts millions of kids' lives.
* A talented, motivated, intense and interesting team.
* A 27" cinema display and whatever machine you want. We'll buy or build your ideal work environment.
* Really exciting technical problems. Solve them to improve the education and welfare of millions of kids every day.
* Introductions to all the advisors and investors you want to meet, to help you learn what you want to know and build your reputation.
* Relocation to San Francisco if you need it. We'll sponsor visas, too.
* The opportunity to join one of the world’s fastest-growing education technology companies at the earliest stages. You'll get to build this category-defining company from the ground up.
* And, our favorite: free, catered dinners, Friday happy hours and lots of snacks and drinks :)